R-1 Religious Workers
Frequently Asked Questions about R-1 Visas
What Type of Religious Workers are Included in this Category?
- Clergy members
- Monks and nuns
- Religious instructors or cantor
- Workers in religious hospitals
- Religious translators or broadcasters
What are the Requirements for an R-1 visa?
The visa holder must:
- Be a member of a denomination that is affiliated with a bona fide nonprofit, tax-exempt religious organization in the U.S.
- Has been a member of that denomination for two years immediately preceding admission to the U.S.
- Be entering the U.S. solely to carry out work for the religious denomination or for an organization affiliated with that denomination.